Potato, Leek and Onion Soup with Garlic Cheese Toasts
This week on the Danziger blog we’re all about health, fitness and comfort. And from what I’ve learned, it all starts with the food you eat. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite family recipes. I got this recipe from my family cookbook. My grandmother always used to make it on those nights when we all needed a little bowl of comfort. It’s filled with ingredients that are not only healthy,but filling as well. My grandmother used to make a big pot of it and keep it in her freezer so when one of us needed some of her soup, she just needed to heat it up on the stove. Keep reading to see how you can prepare this delicious recipe for your family.
4 tbl. olive oil
3 large leeks-(white and pale green party only) sliced
1 1/2 Ibs. russet potatoes– peeled and diced (3-4 large potatoes)
1 large white onion-chopped
4 cans vegetable broth mix-14 1/2 oz.each (able to use fresh or canned chicken broth)
3 large garlic-chopped
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
8 slices Sourdough French Bread
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1.Heat 4 tablespoons of your olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
2. Add leeks,potatoes and onion. Sauté until onion is tender,stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
3. Add broth and bring soup to boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to medium low.
4. Simmer until all vegetables are tender. It should be about 20 minutes
5. Working in batches, puree 5 cups of soup in a blender. Once you are finished, return puree to soup pot. (You may also puree in the pot with a hand blender)
6. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with finely chopped chives.
7. You can either serve the sourdough with melted cheese separately or cut into small pieces and put on top of each individual soup bowl.
Are you going to try this soup at home?
Let us know in the comments below!
Get in Touch
We are looking forward to helping you create the perfect event
3531 Howard street, Skokie IL,60076
Connect with Us
Follow us on social media for the best event inspiration
Send a Message
Danziger Kosher Midwest